Friday, October 24, 2008

Bückeburg Adventure


The past week has been filled with some ups and downs, rainy and sunny days, and slow and fast times. On Tuesday I met my second American (woohoo) in my Physiology class. This was her first time coming to the class, and I was excited to meet her! We talked a bit and she encouraged me to attend an event that takes place ever Tuesday night at Café Safaron. It is basically a chance for international students to meet each other. There I learned much more about different international exchange programs such as ERASMUS (for European students) and met many new people! It was fun drinking Beck’s Lemon Beer and chatting with Carrie and Sarah (both from USA), and their friends!

Wednesday was fairly uneventful, just a day full of classes, and Thursday was the same (although my last class on Thursday was canceled!). I did buy a pot and pan Wednesday night to cook the noodles I bought on Monday (is it bad that I’m excited about that?)! My dinner meals these past weeks have basically consisted of small 5 minute meals I found at REWE, a supermarket, and various fruits/veggies. All you do is heat up the water, and BAM, you have instant pasta! The meals are actually not too bad, but man cannot live on 5 minute meals alone, at least I can’t! So, I am now ready to become a master chef….or at least spend a little more time in the Kitchen :-)

On Thursday I also visited the International Student Office and got some good info about various events planned throughout the semester. While there, an individual told me about the nearby town of Bückeburg, which has a castle and cool Mausoleum, and that the Mausoleum would be closing soon for the winter season. So, as I did not have any plans for Friday, I did some more research and was ready to jump on a train to see this new town!

Bückeburg is a cool little town, and it is much smaller than both Hannover and Bremen. Luckily, it was only a 40 minute train ride, and there weren’t loud, cheering, soccer fans! It was peaceful watching the German landscape glide by. While in town I just meandered along the streets and visited the Bückeburg Palace, Mausoleum, and the Jahrmarkt (which was, surprise surprise, a festival taking place). I was actually happy to walk around another festival as I enjoy seeing this piece of German culture. Of course I had to sample some food, so I enjoyed a steak sandwich and a white chocolate covered banana!

To read more about Bückeburg, check out this website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%BCckeburg
Here are pics from the day! http://www.pikiwiki.com/ews/editor.jsp?20BAeXPIdi-HmkdFMT-E1Ng

So, that has been my week in a nutshell. I hope everyone is doing well!
Dustin

No comments: