Glühwein, Kartoffelpuffers, and more festivals! These are just a few adventures from this weekend! This past Saturday, Yusuke and I got up and made our way to the Kröpcke to board the 10:21 train to Bremen. We had a small list of some things to see, like the Bremen Musicians statue, Cathedral of St. Peter, and Bötcher Strasse, but did not know exactly what the day would bring! The train trip took slightly more than one hour and it was very smooth, and rather peaceful, minus the continuous cheering and floor stomping soccer fans. We did not know that this was a big game day in Bremen, and it was neat to see, hear, and feel (thumping floor) the fans!
Upon our arrival we also found out that the Bremen Freimarkt (free market) was taking place. The carnival takes place all around the center of town, and more was located just north of the Bahnhof. We made our way towards the historic city center and on our way we passed a windmill which ground flour up until 1950. Now it is a restaurant and is known as “Mühle am Wall”. The walk into the city center reminded me of the Kröpcke in Hannover: tall buildings, stores everywhere, many people, tons of fun!
Our first stop in the city center was the Cathedral of St. Peter. The twin towers serve as a distinct landmark in the city. For only one euro, Yusuke and I hiked to the top, twisting up a small, brick, spiral staircase. It was a workout, but the view from the top was well worth it! It was quite an experience, making our way to the top…and then back down, while passing people who were going up…and trust me, this staircase was NOT made for people to pass in! But somehow we managed!
Near the Rathause we also saw the statue for the Bremer Stadtmusikanten (Bremen City Musicians). The fairy tale focuses on a donkey, dog, cat, and rooster who are traveling to Bremen. During their travels they figure out they are stronger when they work together, then when working alone. (This statue is the main entry picture)
Following the Cathedral we meandered down Bötcher Strasse, which is big in art and culture. I felt like I was going into a Harry Potter movie set with the narrow street filled with shops. Upon leaving this part of town we headed across the Weser River. We strolled through a market along the river (which I think was more like a big community garage sale) and we also passed the Becks Beer Brewery, which originated in Bremen.
On our way back towards the city center, I sampled the Pommes Deluxe…which was basically french fries with ketchup, mayonnaise, and onions on top… just typing that makes it sound gross, but they were actually good! Back in the Freimarkt, Yusuke and I sampled Glühwein (red wine heated and flavored with cinnamon sticks, vanilla pods, citrus and sugar) and Kartoffelpuffers (fried potatoes with the option of an apple-type-sauce dip). It was fun to see the more historic district and the carnival sections with all of the rides. The rides definitely trump anything I’ve seen at American fairs. Three roller coasters (one with 5 loops) and numerous other contraptions to spin, fling, twist, drop, and surprise you!
More Bremmen Pics: http://www.pikiwiki.com/ews/editor.jsp?20BAeXPIdi-FsopHnoc66dQ
Also, here is a video showing the reinactment of a historic game. They were basically using an ax to drive nails into the log!
The train ride back was calm (with just a few songs from soccer fans) and the evening was complete with a Neutella snack and webcam chat with family! Overall, it was a super Saturday and I’m looking forward to the next day trip to a new town!
That was Bremen in a nutshell...!
Sunday was also an exciting day as I met up with Katie, who is the first American I met over here. We bumped into each other randomly this past week at the Mensa and decided to do coffee and shop some. Today was a special Sunday as it was 1 of 5 Sundays when stores are open. On most Sundays, stores are closed, however today was different. It was also the first weekend a new shopping mall was open. Basically it felt like the day after Thanksgiving! Very crowded and tons of fun! I finally got some essentials like shaving cream and laundry deteregant...and a few goodies! Well, how could I resist?! :-)
I hope everyone has a wonderful week!
Tschüs!
Dustin
4 comments:
Dustin, I LOVE reading your blog!! I've even used some of your pictures for wallpaper. :) Miss you and have fun!!
<3 Jill
WEEEEEEND! i love you.
I know the story of the Musicians from Breman...but it was the Mickey Mouse version from when I was little. I'm glad you had such a short train ride. I get queasy after more than a couple of hours, and especially if I'm riding facing backwards.
You'll have to go to Munchen to visit...I know you'll have tons of fun!
Miss you!
Dustin, Sounds like you are having a great time! I love reading your blogs. :) Miss you like crazy!
Love, Kiley
Post a Comment