Monday, October 13, 2008

Kinder Eggs and Amaryllis


What more do you need in life? Well, I can think of a few things, but these are a start! Today has been somewhat productive. The morning was filled with me running to the bank, freaking out that I had lost a paper, running (aka pacing on the subway) to Ilona’s office, and then finding out that she had it, then a huge sigh of relief! It was a very typical ‘dustin panic’ moment. But all is good and hopefully I will be able to get everything taken care of, and go get my visa on Friday.
After the bank/panic attack, I finally found a post office. It is not very close to my dormitory, but not too far away. I also checked out a small supermarket near the post office and found a lonely Amaryllis amongst the plants. This is something I had been meaning to get (can’t go a Christmas season without seeing one bloom!) and was very excited to see one, and for a good price! It will bloom long before Christmas, but another bud is developing, so its season will be extended.

The rest of the day thus far has consisted of lunch with Andrѐ at the Mensa, some shopping along Engelbosteler Damm, water spill clean-up in my room, and class tonight. There are several restaurants and other stores along Engelbosteler street. In one I found Kinder Überraschung. These are basically the coolest treats ever, consisting of a chocolate egg with a toy inside. I first ever had a Kinder Egg after my sister traveled to Germany (in 1997 Deidra?) and brought back several eggs. My friend, Anna, who is from Germany and I met in the Purdue Marching Band, also brought me some after a Christmas vacation. It’s cool that now I can bring some back for people…but you may have to wait a while! ;) I think they are traditionally more for German children…but hey, I’m still a kid at heart! The toy had to be assembled, and ended up being a small festival bumper car. This was actually pretty cool, as there were many bumper car rides at Oktoberfest yesterday!

Tonight I have my first German Language class. There is one on Monday and Wednesday, and one is for ‘beginners’ and the other for people who have had experience. I’m not sure which section I fall into yet, but will find out tonight! Everyone on my dormitory floor has been very helpful in teaching me some German, but these classes should be good too!

Guten Tag!
Dustin

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can barely keep up with you. Stop doing so much!
I remembered a new phrase from Jr High: Mein hut der hat drei echen, drei echen hat mein hut....
I sang it all weekend to you.

Anonymous said...

In response to the above comment:

Bryan sings that song ALL THE TIME! He learns a lot of German drinking songs in class...

Anonymous said...

You are way too funny! It is fun to live your experience with you by reading your blog! It is neat you are posting to it everyday. I'm glad you are figuring things out, meeting people, and enjoying yourself.I still have part of you in my office :) - the plant :)

Dustin said...

my hat it has three corners, three cornes has my hat!

i asked andre about it, and he too used to sing it as a kid!

Unknown said...

OMG... my fav. picture of you is the one where you are hugging the tree!!!! I am totally going to download it and place it as my background on my computer.

I love you and miss you!!!!