Friday, October 17, 2008

A German Rainstorm...


…is just like an American rainstorm. You get soaking wet if you don’t have an umbrella. Yah, that was my day on Thursday. It was the first time it rained intensely here, and I was not prepared. Note to self: purchase an umbrella-ella-ella-eh-eh-eh. Four hours of class plus cold wet jeans is not a good combination! :-)

Today has been very good! In the morning, Ilona and I were very productive and were able to get my visa, with no hassles. I can now officially stay for six months! I spent the rest of the afternoon walking around with the intentions of buying necessary items, like laundry detergent. Instead, I came out with new jeans. The idea of buying new clothes just seemed more inviting than washing the old ones! Haha. Speaking of clothes, at 3:00, Yusuke and I went to the August Kestner Art Museum, which is one of several museums around Hannover running the display “Hannover Goes Fashion”. Each Museum presents a different angle of Fashion: including historic/modern fashion, and clothing in movies, paintings, etc. The August Kestner Museum focused on ‘Neue Kleider’, or New Clothes. It was interesting to see the exhibit, along with the other Egyptian, Medieval, Renaissance, and Modern art pieces! After the art museum we walked around an outdoor market taking place around the Market Church in the Old City. I had a delicious Milchkaffee (basically milk and coffee) and dried cranberries (aka. Craisins!).

August Kestner/Market Pics: http://www.pikiwiki.com/ews/editor.jsp?20BAeXPIdi-GiZC9P45d3MA

The rest of this week has been good (minus the rainstorm). Yesterday I explored another floral shop to see some European arrangements. It has also been exciting to watch my Amaryllis bloom! There are currently three huge blooms! Last night, Lisa, Yusuke, Vitali and I all went to play some sports. The first game I played was like soccer, only you hit the ball with a styrofoam tipped stick. The second was like dodge ball, but slightly different. Apparently this is a game that many German children play. I would try to explain how it goes, but would probably get too wordy and caught up in details, and you would probably have no idea what I was saying, so basically all you need t know is it was fun! This week has also been good to continue keeping in touch with people. I specifically love using Skype. This has made keeping in touch with friends and family much easier!

This Saturday, some of us are traveling to a town nearby called Bremen. I’ve looked online and there should be some neat things to see!

I hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend!
Dustin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love our pictures! It was so much fun to talk to you! :) I miss you so much. I follow your blog everyday. Love you, D!