Bonjour from the city of lights! What an experience this has been...and still more to come! Arrived to Gare de l'Est train station and made my way down the Sebastopol Boulevard towards my hostel. After checking in a dropping off some very heavy luggage, I headed to the Louvre and checked out the local Jardin de Tuileries. Everything here is so magnificent and grand...the architecture, the gardens, the clothing :) it is truly overwhelming to the senses!
Eventually I met up with Sarah at the Louvre....it took a bit of time to find each other, but what a reunion it was/is! Originally we met on a trip to Washington DC, kept in touch (including a prom date), saw each other in St. Louis...and now Paris! We don't know how to top this one!
We took a walk along Seine River (which runs right through the city) and our destination was the Tour Eiffel....omg, I did not believe my eyes....something only ever seen on TV, and there it was infront of me! Truly remarkable! We got there shortly before sunset, so were able to take many pictures and enjoy the park...as the sun went down, we ended up on the steps of the Palais de Chaillot to watch the light show which consisted of millions (number?) of light blinking alll of the tower! Wow!
We ended the night at the Cafe Trocadero (we could see the Eiffel Tower!) and enjoyed chatting and catching up on old times...! From there we parted ways with plans for the next morning. I spent the night at the BVJ Louvre Hostel. It was a quick night as we met today at 8:00 to head out to the Palace of Versailles! This is a place I've learned about in classes....but again, seeing in in real life was surreal....getting a special tour of the Palace (seeing the Kings private chambers), seeing the art and sculpture, and then moving outside to the gardens. So big, so beautiful, so French, and so un-real! Unfortunately the outdoor sculptures were covered up for the winter, but several fountains were uncovered! The morning was a bit dreary when we were inside, but the rain let up when we got outside, and the sun was shinning towards the end! Blue skies! We also made a new friend from Australia, who joined us for the day as we walked around. Judy was very nice and just an example of how you never know who you will meet while traveling, or become friends with!
The whole day was spent at Versailles...so much walking but very worth it (and very worth a return visit during warmer months). Tonight we had dinner with the friends of Sarah...and I'm using their computer now!
We now are making plans for tomorrow, which include more Paris and the Louvre on Tuesday. Tuesday night we head to Rome where I will hopefully have my next post.
Well, as you can tell, I'm alive and well in Paris and enjoying every moment! Keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of the trip goes well....I'm sure it will!
Au revoir!
Dustin
No comments:
Post a Comment